Christmas Dreaming

Do you get a bad feeling, with Christmas coming up? I used to feel that way & went to work at making it better each year. Now it's something to look forward to.

I realise using the 'C' word anything less than two or three weeks out, is already for some, too much! Christmas can bring up a lot of stuff for people. That might be you or it might be the family & friends you'll share it with. Either way, it will help to do a little thinking and plan ahead.

Christmas doesn't have to be a mess and there's a lot we can do to make it bearable, something we look forward to & dare I say it, even fun! It's a celebration! If that's already the case for you, Merry Christmas!

If not read on... :)

Here's a great place to start! Put aside the SHOULDS - all you 'should' have, be and do this time of year. We can tend to think Christmas should look or be a certain way. A feeble attempt at perfection. Take the pressure off!

None of us are perfect. This might be stating the obvious... but stay with me...
Christmas is not meant to be about pretending everything is alright.

"Ok Simon," I hear you say, "How exactly am I going to do that? We don't want it to end up with people sounding off about what's wrong with one another!"

I really get that. Some of my family prefer not to celebrate at all. I'm guessing for that reason. The rest of us did our best, on our best behaviour, all smiles; spending 'quality' time with people we might not normally see much.

It's not always easy, but here's a few thoughts to help smooth the way...

Christmas really can be any way you want it to be and it doesn't have to offend anyone in the process.

I actually called it off one year. True. My family were great about it, or they appeared to be... I'd lost my direction in life and needed some time to come to terms with things. Of course they all went ahead and I had a pretty dull day as it turned out, haha, but it helped me in ways I'll talk about later on.

For now, suffice to say, when we talk to people about what we need and want, in a way that honours them, we get freed up to create things as we would like them to be, or at least take steps in that direction.

To steal a mantra from a mentor of mine ~ Progress, not perfection! <3






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What if the Feeling's Gone?

Where to Begin

The Power of Authenticity